NA Eye

Filed under News, Showcase

What is Project Water?

Introduction piece to a larger, continued column profiling the impacts of NA Project Water

Flyer for the Project Water Dodgeball tournament for 2018. Don’t forget to sign up at https://naprojectwater.com/

Water is one of the most simple things on this planet, yet it is so necessary for life. It surrounds us in our homes, rushing out with just a turn of a faucet.

Think about your life if you didn’t have water readily at your home. Unimaginable, right? Unfortunately, that is the life for 844 million people around the globe. In addition, 2.3 billion people don’t have a decent toilet, and 31% of schools don’t have clean water.

Africa is one of the countries that has and still is being hit the hardest by the water crisis. 19 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa are without access to improved reliable drinking water sources. Sub-Saharan Africa is among the regions with the greatest drinking water spending needs, with the greatest investment needs in rural areas. So how can we help?

One of the ways that you can help is at your own school! North Allegheny Project Water is a nonprofit, student-run initiative launched in 2014 to provide clean water to developing villages in Africa. For this year’s campaign, proceeds benefit World Vision’s clean water well construction and WASH (Safe water, sanitation, and hygiene) program that aims to provide 125,620 people in Uganda with clean water through 130 shallow wells, 140 mechanized wells, and outfit 67 schools and 28 health facilities with water supply systems.

Every year, Project Water hosts two dodgeball tournaments within our school district: one at the North Allegheny Intermediate High School (NAI), and one at the North Allegheny Senior High school (NASH). In past years, hundreds of students have participated in this team effort to raise awareness and funds for clean water, and we have raised over $36,000. 

NA Project Water administration, promotion videos, history, and other interesting tidbits can be found at naprojectwater.com

Want to learn more about the water crisis? Here is the video produced by Project Water:

NA Project Water

Some of the students and teachers at NAI in involved with Project Water. These kids meet independent of school time to plan the tournament. Some do scheduling, sponsorship, Project Experience work, game play improvement, reffing, and secretarial work.