Take a Knee?

Ever since Colin Kapernick took a knee during the national anthem while playing for the San Francisco 49ers on September 11, 2016, politics and sports have become intertwined. In this story, NAEye seeks to promote a civil, meaningful dialogue among the student body about this pressing current events issue.

October 31, 2017

Do you support NFL players kneeling for the anthem?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Opinion: Take A Knee

Ainsley Ferron // Sophomore

Athletes should easily be allowed to kneel, as it is a peaceful form of protesting racial issues in America. It in no way violates the Flag Code, therefore proving that it does not disrespect the national anthem. Disallowing athletes to kneel is an obvious violation of first amendment rights to free speech and peaceful protest.

Nishka Edlabadkar // Sophomore

By kneeling for the national anthem, the athletes are exercising their right to free speech, as well as raising awareness against racism. Racism is still a prevalent issue in our society, and the athletes’ decision to use their fame to raise awareness of it is laudable. This form of protest should be praised, as it is both peaceful and effective.

Marcaela Allen // Sophomore

I think that the athletes should have knelt. Choosing to kneel during the national anthem, if anything, shows how aware the athletes are and it in no way disrespects veterans or the flag. They are still acknowledging the importance of the anthem by expressing how they can’t support a flag that doesn’t represent everyone. The athletes are silently protesting and recognizing the problems within the country while reaching their huge audience.

Opinion: Remain Standing

Jacob Pan // Sophomore

I believe that athletes should not kneel during the national anthem. While there is still an obvious presence of racism in the country, the flag represents those who have fought for what has progressed the country-not necessarily representing the present form thereof-especially those who have faithfully died and sacrificed their lives bravely and selflessly for the United States of America; kneeling during the national anthem thus is highly disrespectful to all of those who sacrificed in the past for the USA. The country may not be in good shape, but without those who served it would be far worse than it is right now; in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and the major world wars, America has defended freedom and has sustained it to one degree or another.

Eli Prem // Sophomore

I feel that taking a knee during the national anthem can be seen as disrespectful to all of our veterans. This being said I feel that the players should be able to express their opinions, just not during the national anthem. Regardless, the players should follow whatever the NFL tells them to do, since the NFL is essentially their employer.

I believe athletes who kneel during the national anthem are disrespectful because the song is supposed to symbolize kindness, those suffering, courage, and bravery. Even though kneeling may embody political views or forms of protest, athletes should come to a game peacefully, professionally, and respectfully stand for the three minutes of honor and respect to our country. – Anonymous

NA Eye • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in