NAEye: A Look on the Inside

An exclusive interview with the two Co-Editor in Chiefs of NAEye.

It is well-known that NAEye is the student news site of the North Allegheny Intermediate high school. However, not many people know what goes on behind the scenes. Here is an interview featuring Maya Sivakumar and Kaitlyn Klinefelter, two Co-Editor in Chiefs of NAEye, to provide insight into what journalism at NAI is like.

NAEye: How long have you been a part of NAEye?

Maya Sivakumar: Two years. I joined as a freshman, mostly because I wanted to do journalism, and partially because I heard about how cool Mr. Hull was from Mrs. Hull.

NAEye: What is your specific role/position?

Maya Sivakumar: I am the Co-Editor in Chief of the NAEye.

NAEye: How long have you been a Co-Editor in Chief?

Maya Sivakumar: Only this year, so only sophomore year. I was a features editor last year, and I guess Mr. Hull had seen the initiative I had taken during that time, so he approached me one day and decided to make me a Co-Editor in Chief this year. 

NAEye: Do you enjoy being a Co-Editor in Chief?

Maya Sivakumar: I really love being Co-Editor in Chief. It definitely sucks sometimes because I can’t write as much, but I enjoy contributing to the NAEye as a whole and keeping everything together. I also enjoy working with everyone and making cool stuff. 

NAEye: Are there any struggles that come with this job? If so, what are some examples?

Maya Sivakumar: I wrote a lot more last year and even though I am trying to get articles out this year, I am still behind in terms of how many articles I have written. Also, I have more responsibilities and projects, and I have to make sure everything is up to date.

NAEye: What would your advice for beginner journalists be?

Maya Sivakumar: Keep writing or producing whatever media you’re interested in. That’s what I did freshman year, and I definitely improved a lot. Also, improvement comes with all of the hard work you do, so don’t get too discouraged. Everyone in NAEye is here to support you, so whenever you need help, feel free to ask.

Kaitlyn Klinefelter: I have been a part of NAEye since freshman year. 

Kaitlyn Klinefelter: I do a lot of the multi-media/video stuff.

NAEye: How long have you been a co-editor in chief?

Kaitlyn Klinefelter: Ever since a random day in August when I got a DM from Mr. Hull on Instagram. So the beginning of the school year.

NAEye: Do you enjoy being a co-editor in chief?

Kaitlyn Klinefelter: Yes, I like it.

Kaitlyn Klinefelter: Having to teach people how to write. Since everything is remote this year, it is less about having more to do, but more about teaching others how to do things

Kaitlyn Klinefelter: It really doesn’t matter what you do, and it genuinely doesn’t matter what you do when you’re starting out. You are figuring out what you like and want to do.