Miss Gaudino

Miss+Gaudino

Eliza Toomey, Staff Writer

As a child, did you ever consider becoming an author and/or a librarian?

I always loved reading and writing. As a kid, I would often dictate my favorite stories. I went to school for early childhood education but did not consider becoming a librarian until after school when I was exposed to the profession and decided to give it a try.

Most students and staff at NAI are not aware that you are an author. Can you please tell us a little bit about your three novels? Are you currently working on any other novels?

My novels are geared towards young adults. My first two novels, Always Kiss Me Goodnight and Never Kiss and Tell, are of the paranormal genre. My latest novel, Sugar Lump, falls under the contemporary genre. No matter the genre, all of my books have a mysterious element to them. I definitely feel that my reading tastes reflect my writing tastes. If I am reading several paranormal novels, my writing tends to take the same style. Right now, I am working on a novel that is a modern retelling of The Little Mermaid and is currently with my editor.

The writing process can be very frustrating. If you are experiencing a writer’s block, what do you do to relax?

I feel that it is always beneficial to take a break. In my freetime, I often enjoy taking pictures of nature, going on road trips, and spending time with my nephews and dogs. Although some people advise to just push through a writer’s block and continue writing, you do not want your writing to become forced. I find it helpful to read books that are of the same genre that I am currently writing to give me inspiration. Often times, if I talk myself into taking a few days off, I suddenly come up with several ideas of where to next take the story.

Do you have any advice for aspiring authors here at NAI?

The best thing to do is keep writing. If you keep writing, your work will continue to get better and better. I also recommend reading what you want to write to provide you with ideas and inspiration for you own writing.

Do you communicate with any other authors? If so, have they given you any tips or tricks for writing?

Collaboration and sharing ideas with other writers is an extremely important part of the writing process. I met two other authors, Kathryn Berla and Lindsay Ouimet, in an online writing community with whom I trade tips and advice. One of the most important things I have learned as an author is to focus on you and not compare yourself to other writers. It is also a good idea to never look at reviews of your own books. If you happen to, do not worry about what other people say. Even the best authors receive harsh comments and criticism.

When books are made into movies, there are always great expectations. Sometimes the movie is amazing but more times than not we find ourselves thoroughly disappointed. In your opinion, what is the best and worst movie remake of a novel?

Best: The Vampire Academy-The first book in this series was made into a movie. Although it was not well received, it is the most accurately portrayed movie that I have seen.

Worst: My Sister’s Keeper-They completely changed the ending which ruined the whole movie.

Do you have a favorite book or books?

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson