NA Eye

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

An NAI Rite of Passage

Securing one's drivers' license is the ultimate symbol of freedom. It is also a nerve-wracking experience.

I sit behind the wheel with my knuckles wrapped around the steering wheel. My car jerks as I slowly try to make my way down the driveway and onto the open road.

My mom and dad, both teachers themselves, cannot help but to micromanage my driving process, themselves. My mom constantly yells to speed up a little, while my dad is using an imaginary brake pedal in the passenger seat. It is hard to decide on which point of view to concentrate on without getting in trouble with the other making the whole learning to drive experience quite stressful.

Fellow sophomore Julia Moose commented, “

I got beeped at for a solid 10 seconds when driving through a parking lot. I wasn’t even doing anything wrong!”

— Julia Moose

Perhaps more than anything else in an NAI students career, the sophomore right-of-passage of obtaining one’s driver’s permit defines the growth and freedom of a student.

We interviewed a few students to get their perspective and stories about their driver’s permit experiences.

According to sophomore Jenna Brandt, “My mom made me drive home from my permit test! I had never even sat behind the wheel before and now here I was with my hands on the steering wheel. I was terrified to say the least. People kept honking at me for not going fast enough, and then when I did finally speed up I ended up running a red light. It was really scary at first but now I am very comfortable on the roads and can’t wait to get my licence.”

Some may feel a sense of relief to know that they are not the only ones who are struggling to drive, while others may feel even more apprehensive to get on the roads due to these learning drivers.

Whether you are encouraged or discouraged by the amount of student drivers on the road, every kid is dragged, or racing to the DMV to get their permit on their 16 birthday to take their first step into adult life.