Hildyview: 5 Questions with Mr. Hildenbrand, NAI’s AP HuG and Economics Teacher

Mr. Hildenbrand sat down with the NAEye for an exclusive interview!

Jaime Martinez

Bill Hildenbrand teaching his eighth period AP Human Geography class.

Alex Evans, Staff Writer

Why are your tests so incredibly difficult?

My tests ARE hard but the reasons are varied – they usually come down to a lack of preparation, a lack of knowledge about the world, a lack of interest, and a lack of time [to prepare for the tests]. I think that while many kids want AP credit and like to be challenged – they really aren’t prepared to give the amount of work necessary to make these dreams come true – AP classes are college-level courses and particularly in 10th grade many kids aren’t ready for that kind of challenge yet.”

What do you do when not “AP HuG-ing”?

When I’m not watching the news and plotting my next “evil” test questions, I used to play and coach soccer (Asst Coach at NA for 28 years and former NA player) – Now that I’m older I like to travel and drive my classic Porsche.” (And from my experience taking his economics class, the Porsche is one of his most prized possessions, if not the most).

Where is the world headed right now?

“ [I am] not sure of where the world is headed – there [are so many] ‘fake and distracting’ versions of the news (kind of like [rumors and gossip] in a giant high school) – that’s why it’s so important to know what you’re doing and where your sources are coming from. They aren’t all real. All I know is, the kids I’ve interacted with will be able to address whatever challenges us ‘old people’ throw at them in the future.”

What is your motivation for teaching?

I don’t know – maybe when I grow up I’ll figure out why I do things. I started teaching late (about 28 years ago). I have my degree in economics and there weren’t any banking jobs during the recessions of the late 1970’s. I worked a few different places and I loved coaching, so eventually it dawned on me that I should get paid to coach/teach. I really enjoy working with kids. I’m just an overgrown one myself, ask my classes.

What is your favorite moment from all of your years teaching HuG?

There have been so many crazy days — getting great scores from the kids on the AP tests, winning State and WPIAL  Soccer Championships, Euro-Challenges and Econ-Challenges have all been great. Having a whole Honors class bust out singing “Build Me Up Buttercup” before class starts. But my favorite thing is seeing the juniors and seniors after they’ve lived through this challenge, tell me that I have made a difference in their lives. Social studies and humanities teachers often get pushed to the background by the efforts and achievements of STEM, but really educated people know that it’s about the ‘Big Picture’, and I hope I can color in a small part of that ‘Big Picture’ for my students.”