Anna Betler: Needed

We can all agree that the trip to Washington, D.C. was a necessary one. It is known that being a journalist in a modern setting is dangerous but also rewarding. Through our journeys to the National Public Radio (NPR), Newseum, Hamilton Place Strategies (HPS), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), National Press Club (NPC), the Capitol building, and the Museum of African American History we learned that it’s not uncommon for up and coming journalists to face difficult challenges.

First Stop: National Public Radio (NPR)

After our long but cheerful four hour road trip, we stopped for lunch before continuing on to the National Public Radio (NPR) for a tour. A welcoming intern invited us on a behind the scenes tour of the inner workings of the popular radio station. We were able to see where all the inspiration for each segment occurs along with some of the broadcasters at work. Moving along, a recording studio and media room were shown to us. One of our last stops inside the NPR headquarters was the “Tiny Desk”. “Tiny Desk” is where NPR records and broadcasts popular musicians. The desk provides many trinkets from well-known artists such as Adele, Macklemore, Drake, etc. Concluding the first stop of our trip, we learned how journalism is a potential future for aspiring writers like us.

Second Stop: Hamilton Place Strategies (HPS)

A few hours after the NPR tour were spent walking around the city, learning how to get metro cards, and getting directions to our next stop: Hamilton Place Strategies (HPS). An interview with Tony Fratto, strategist and founder of HPS, was scheduled for 5:00 pm. Fratto talked about his life journey, working alongside President Bush, and the benefits that working hard give you. Tired and hungry, we decided to order pizza and spend the night in the hotel.

Third Stop: Newseum

Friday, our busiest day by far had commenced with our visit to the famous Newseum. The Newseum provides free classes for inquiring journalists. Our first class was held at the learning center where we learned about the effects of “fake news”. After the “fake news” seminar, we were allowed to explored the six different levels of the museum and what it had to offer. From a photo-story gallery, 9/11 memorial, journalism related to the FBI, the Berlin Wall, and a journalists memorial, the Newseum taught us that even though that threats are present, it is more rewarding to sacrifice yourself and inform the public of current events.

Fourth Stop: Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) headquarters was our next stop. The museum, lined with artifacts, taught us about the four main positions that are offered in the bureau (special agent, intelligence analyst, lab services, and professional staff). The success stories that are displayed on the walls show that journalism is a major contributor in modern law enforcement and forensics.  

Fifth Stop: National Press Club (NPC)

We finished Friday with a pitstop at the National Press Club (NPC) for a meeting with current members. The journalists told the story of how they met and what their journey to journalism was like. A common theme throughout their career was the frequent transition periods — going from one place of work to the next. Along the course of our interviews, the women provided helpful hints to us as beginning journalists.

Sixth Stop: Capitol Building

Starting the last day of our three day trip, we stopped by the nation’s Capitol building. We were taken on a tour throughout the capitol building including the room of statues. We learned that each state is allowed to have two statues. Our tour guide, although corny, gave detailed descriptions of the artwork, architecture, statues, and rooms themselves. We left the capitol building with knowledge about our country’s headquarters (and a few jokes too!).  

Seventh Stop: Museum of African American History

Last, but not least, a few of us had the privilege to take a glance at the Museum of African American History. The museum, the only one of its kind, has a few month waiting list, but we were given tickets from a group who had to cancel. At the end of the “Journey of Freedoms” section of the museum, a room-wide waterfall stands as a tribute to those who have found so courageously for the rights of others. The powerful and emotional tributes explains the significance of discovering the truth no matter how difficult it might be to see or write about.

Last Stop: Home

Prior to our three day excursion, we were ill-informed about the hard work, deep thoughts, and bravery that goes into capturing that “perfect” image or getting the truth behind a story.  

NA Eye • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in