More than a Fresh Coat of Paint

NAI Undergoes Much Needed, Major Renovation

October 18, 2017

“It was an all-out team effort,” said Dr. Hyland, Principal of North Allegheny Intermediate High school, when referencing a much-needed renovation, which had begun at the conclusion of the 2016-2017 school year.

Along with Dr. Hyland, Mrs. Ewing, Dr. Harding, and Mr. Rob Gaertner, Director of Facilities, and a host of teachers and custodians, a lot of hard work continues to go into making NAI a place which is welcoming to staff, students, and community members.

With a budget of $5.7 million, the school added crucial changes to better the learning environment for both the staff and students. Although some people would slightly change small aspects of the remodeling, most are very satisfied with the newly constructed learning environment.

The renovation took longer than expected, and the students and staff faced obstacles towards the start of the new school year, yet managed to stay patient and wait for the new, pristine building.

“It was an all-out team effort

— Dr. Hyland

Tenth grade English teacher, Mrs. Pavely indicated, “I couldn’t get in, I couldn’t get anything done!”

Throughout the summer, staff had trouble visiting their classrooms to prepare for the start of the 2017-2018 school year. Although few setbacks and deceptions for some of the staff, NAI’s new remodeling was impressive to most all students and staff.

The positive impacts outweigh the negatives by a landslide.

“Finally more school spirit”, said principal Dr. Hyland. “The newly remodeled restrooms contain a vast amount of black and gold. They are a hit among many students and staff.” Now containing hand dryers and censored sinks, bathrooms at NAI reduce the use of paper towels and the waste of water.

Tenth grader Riley Miara said, “I like the new hand dryers better than paper towels.”

Students are also very satisfied with the newly added water bottle fill station ez-H2O fillers.

Another tenth grader Jillian WIlliams says, “I love the new water bottle stations. They make my life easier.”

Of the few setbacks that occurred to the students, one misfortune was the unfinished floors. The floors were ripped up at the end of the 2016-2017 school year. Although they were thought to be completed at the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, students are dealing with the situation patiently and rationally with optimistic thoughts toward brand-new floors. Tenth grader Matthew Rogers says, “Some students were expecting the floors to be done, but I can understand it all not being done. It must have been a lot of work”

One of the biggest changes in the school is the health office. With new restrooms, more private areas in the care area, and new sinks, Mrs. Istone, school nurse, is very pleased with the outcome of the new editions to the health office.

Mrs Istone happily stated, “ I love the new office. It functions and works very well.”

A new health office will allow students to feel more comfortable and safe.

As each student is greeted through the new school year, they continue to notice each improved piece of furniture in each new classroom. Chairs that provided comfort and hospitality were a great crowd pleaser.

Mike Iuzzolino, Multimedia Specialist

In previous  years, classrooms experienced fluctuating temperatures throughout the school. This year, both students and staff recognized the new air conditioning system, now properly working and providing comfort in each classroom.

Many custodians contributed to the outcome of our newly designed school. All students and staff appreciate the effort and determination of all custodians that helped out to keep our school clean, organized, and school spirited.

As the renovation is still taking place, students and staff can expect to see continued improvement to the aesthetic and functionality of the building.

About the Writer
Photo of Abby Glass
Abby Glass, Staff Writer

Grade: 10

Years on staff: 1

Role: (staff writer)

Life soundtrack (song):  Glorious (Macklemore)

Hobby/ sport/ clubs / pastime:  Girls Basketball

Short...

Photo of Maddie Kantz
Maddie Kantz, Staff writer

Grade: 10

Years on staff: 1

Role: staff writer

Life soundtrack: (song)   Fergalicious non-explicit (Fergie)

hobby/...

NA Eye • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in