Katie Ranallo

May 29, 2019

Dear NAI,

Three words to describe my experience with you would be unforgettable, stressful and fun. Unforgettable, because I made so many new friendships. Some good and some bad, the friendships will never be forgotten because I learned so much. Stressful, because of all the school work I was given in my classes, but I knew it will pay off when I am in college and need to use my hard work, determination, and good study habits. Fun, because I truly felt welcomed every day by my friends and teachers as I walked into NAI. Even when I made mistakes (mainly because I wanted to have fun) at school, I properly was told what did wrong(even though I knew). I think this is so valuable because it taught me the right way to act and respect others. Because my teachers cared and respected me so much, it did not make it hard for me to show the same for them.

In ninth grade I remember it was one of my most stressful times because I was bombarded with homework and the need to study for a test. At first I did not take this well. I started being unpleasant at home to my loving family. Once I was able to open up to my family about how stressed I was they were able to help. Because I opened up to my family about my struggling in school, I got closer than ever with them and my grades became easier to me.

My favorite memories at NAI would be in Mr. Jordan’s Chemistry class. Although this was my hardest class sophomore year, I enjoyed chemistry class so much. I became very good friends with my lab partner. This made the sometimes dread of going to chemistry class a little less bitter. Also, Mr. Jordan did such an nice job at teaching and showing how fun and amazing chemistry is. In need of a break, on mole day(November 23), the whole class was able to bring in food and we had a relaxing period of eating, talking to friends, and watching Mr. Jordan blow up a pumpkin. The first lab I remember doing was the most fun because we were able to pop popcorn and after recording are data eat the popcorn. Lastly, I am thankful for the test retakes. I think the tests retakes were the best form of learning for me. I believe this because instead of falling something and never learning it, I was able to learn it thoroughly and retake it and get a better score.

Another class that I enjoyed a lot was journalism. If any 8th grader going into 9th grade were to ask me what electives they should take, I would definitely recommend them to take journalism with Mr. Hull. This was such a fantastic class because I was with my two best friends and was able to express my opinions on anything through writing with no stress. Even when I was feeling uncreative, Mr. Hull was always there to motivate me to write something entertaining and funny. The class built my writing skills that will continue to help me through Nash and college.

Lastly, my favorite teacher, Mrs. Holland. I will always be inspired by her because of her kindness, intelligence, and giving personality. From the first day I walked in the room to the last, she made me feel so invited, almost like I was at home and being embraced by my mom when I get home from school. She was always able to make the stress of a hard math lesson go away and give us a treat if we did a nice job. She was my only teacher to ever bake all her students cookies for a day. Mr. Holland also gave all her classes Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day presents. I was taken away by her kindness and passion to teach which I will always remember.                                                                                                               

-Katie Ranallo