Homework: Help or Hindrance?

October 29, 2019

One of the most debated topics of our century is homework. Is homework necessary for student success and achievement, or is it detrimental to students’ health and well being? Some people think it is unnecessary and a waste of time. Others think that it is needed in order to further understand what is being taught and leads to a higher student success rate.

Help

Many believe that homework is essential for student achievement. The belief is that homework helps students to better understand concepts introduced within the classroom.

Homework is said to improve student grades because it is the practice needed to be successful on exams. Homework can be very effective in increasing standardized test scores as a result. Many teachers claim that students believe that they fully understand what is being taught within the classroom. However, when they arrive home, they find it difficult to complete assignments on their own. 

Since during a test, students are expected to show mastery of the information taught without any help from the instructor, it is essential that they first attempt to practice at home through assignments. Without homework, many believe students would achieve lower test scores due to the lack of practice. When students understand and retain the information learned, this leads to higher standardized test scores.

Additionally, homework teaches students necessary time management skills and responsibility. Learning to use their time wisely to complete tasks will be an essential skill students will need to use within the workplace as well as in their personal lives.

Since homework is given in all subjects, students are forced to prioritize and plan the time and resources needed to complete each assignment. Turning in assignments completed and on time teaches responsibility.