Invalid Arguments

November 1, 2019

At first glance, these arguments might seem pretty solid, but some can be argued against very easily and some are just inherently flawed. To truly focus on either sides’ best arguments, it is crucial that the flawed arguments are eliminated. 

Approximately less than 1% of abortions have to do with the woman or child’s health, rape, incest, or fetal birth defects. The rest of the abortions happen for social or economic reasons. Saying that we should keep abortion safe and legal BECAUSE of these cases is invalid because of the mediocrity of the 1% statistic. 

Many people who are pro-life incorporate religion, typically Christianity, into arguments. Although it is perfectly okay to base morals off of religious beliefs, the constitution states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”

Different religious texts describe when life begins differently, so going off of the Bible’s definition would favor Christianity. People who represent us also can not solely consider Christian morals when debating any issue because it would be unconstitutional for them to do so since they would technically be trying to make a law respecting an establishment of religion.

Even the best arguments on either side have their flaws as well. It’s as if each side can be shut down by the other in some way. Because of this, it seems like the debate is just a never-ending cycle that fails to find a solution that can satisfy both sides.