Other Arguments

November 1, 2019

Economic and social reasons for abortion are things such as poverty, the mother being unable to cope with having a child, and/or the mother being too young to cope with a child. These are common reasons that women have for getting abortions. These women do not want to bring a child into the world that is going to suffer mentally or financially. 

A big reason for abortion is not being ready to have children or have any more children. 6 out of 10 people who get abortions already have kids. These women believe that having a child will greatly interfere with their education, career, or life overall.

People who are pro-choice argue that if politicians are not going to help them once their child is born, they should not be able to force them to go through with their pregnancy.

Maureen Condic, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Neurobiology and Anatomy and Adjunct Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine, says that the “most primitive response to pain, the spinal reflex,” is developed by eight weeks gestation.

In addition, she says that “There is universal agreement that pain is detected by the fetus in the first trimester.” Many people who are against abortion feel that fetuses can feel pain throughout the abortion procedure although this has not been completely proven by scientists.

People who are pro-life often argue against abortion because they think that women can just give the child up for adoption. Around 2.6 million Americans are looking to adopt children. If women give their child up for adoption rather than terminating the pregnancy, there will be more infants available for adoption. 

Although these are all relevant arguments, they are controversial on many different fronts and can be perceived differently by either side.