Thank You, Mrs. Holland (MathKath)

Everyone's favorite math teacher is helping students enjoy math one last time after 34 years.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thank You, Mrs. Holland (MathKath)

NAEye: Who/What inspired you to become a teacher?  

MathKath: “I was in Mechanical Engineering for 3 years and didn’t love it.  I had some professors and a father who were amazing teachers, as well as the teachers I had when I went to North Allegheny. I started to love math when I began tutoring. I love helping people feel confident.” 

NAEye: Is there any reason you chose to teach tenth grade?

MK: “I have taught everything from seventh through twelfth grade.  Each grade is so different. I just seem to be able to communicate with that grade. Tenth graders are old enough to talk to and laugh with. Teaching Algebra 2 is one of my absolute favorite subjects to teach and that is mostly taken in tenth grade.”

NAEye: What is your main goal as a teacher?

MK:  “Besides getting my students to appreciate math, I love helping them feel confident and taking pride in all that they do.  I also feel that it is important to be a good role model, be kind, and to set good examples. I also love to laugh and have fun while I teach.”

NAEye: What is one word you think of when you think about teaching? 

MK: “Ever-changing”

NAEye: What/who is most important to you?

MK:  “Family and doing things for people.  It always feels good to do whatever you can to be kind to someone and help them.”

NAEye: What do you do outside of school?

MK: “I love to bake, travel, and spend time with my family.  I also love being outside. I love being in the sun. In addition, I really like riding on the back of my husband’s motorcycle.”   

NAEye: What made you interested in motorcycle riding?

MK: “My husband always has loved motorcycles.  I love being on the back because I can see everything and appreciate and take in nature which you can’t see when you are driving.”

NAEye: Do you have any hidden talents?

MK: “I can play a few songs on the harmonica and the organ.”

NAEye: What is one thing no student knows about you?

MK: “I have a pinball machine that I love to play! I also have three tattoos!”

NAEye: How has NAI changed since you started teaching? 

MK:First of all, I was once among the youngest and now am among the oldest.  The students and school have also definitely changed in regard to technology.”  

NAEye: What will you miss the most about  NAI?

MK: “I will certainly miss my colleagues and friendships that have been formed.  I will truly miss being around students all of the time.”  

Do you have a favorite memory of Mrs. Holland? We’re sure you do! Use the comment section below to let her know.