Maggie (’21) and Clare (’23) Scala

October 31, 2019

Every year when a younger sibling receives their schedule, most older siblings assess what teachers and classes they have. Siblings often hear, “Oh, he loved me!” or, “I was bad in her class, she probably won’t like you.” These comments often shape how the younger sibling sees school. But do the experiences match up between the siblings? 

When our schedules came this summer, I, like many others, asked my older sibling if the teachers I had were good. I received various feedback; some of which I liked, and some of which I didn’t. Like most incoming freshman, I asked Maggie, my older sister, what her experience at NAI was like. “The classes were kinda hard, and freshman year was awful to get used to. But as the years go by, it has gotten easier, and I like highschool.”, said Maggie. Maggie and I both found it fairly difficult to get used to high school. The workload and studying is very different than middle school. As of right now, I like high school a lot more than middle school. 

Although Maggie and I have had similar experiences, I wish people would see us as different people with different likes and dislikes. It is difficult to be constantly compared to a sibling. tg