Teachers’ Heroes

Reversing the standard question of a person’s hero on teachers.

Teachers Heroes

Everyone has their heroes, big or small. Many look up to people like George Washington, a founding father. Others may look up to figures such as Jeannette Rankin, the first woman in the U.S. House of Representatives. Here at NAI, here are some of our teachers’ heroes.

Who is your hero and why?

Mr. McCelland:

“Students who contribute to society are my personal heroes.  Many times I have witnessed great acts of compassion and proactive measures to address issues in society.  Coat drives, canned food drives, Treats for Troops, the Santa Stocking project and Project Water are just a few of the efforts in which students have engaged have made a lasting impact in our local community and world-wide. 

Additionally, I have seen monumental projects undertaken by individual students which have improved the lives of many people.  Students who volunteer time and treasure to help the hungry, the homeless, local animal shelters and hospitals are particularly impressive.  Many of these undertakings are done at great personal expense and without expectation for reward. My admiration and gratitude go out to all of you who make a concentrated effort to improve the world around you!”

Mr. Winschel:

“I am a man who tends toward hero-worship naturally so I could answer with a veritable litany of heroes.  However, if I were to choose but one person right now, I would say St. Thomas Aquinas. For within this one man were found to their fullest extent just about every conceivable virtue.  In my limited judgment he was the single greatest and most integrated intellect in the history of the world, yet he was a man entirely animated by Faith, who exuded humility and simplicity.  He courageously overcame daunting obstacles intentionally placed before him in his pursuit of a life as a Dominican friar according to God’s will – to which he submitted himself in all things.  Withal he lived a life of complete self-abnegation while drawing himself closer to God in ways unmatched by nearly anyone this side of heaven. Simply put, he loved God and lived out that love at every moment.”

Mr. Moore:

“The people who have done things throughout history that put their neck out of the line with nothing to gain for themselves. An example is Daniel Elsburgh who exposed government lies about the Vietnam War then spent time in jail for it. It would have been much easier to stay quiet, but instead, he chose what was right even though he paid a heavy price.”

Mr. Lamm:

“My first hero is my great grandmother who immigrated to this country, riding a boat across the Atlantic Ocean at 14 years of age by herself and who four years later ran away from home before the rest of the family went back to Europe because she wanted to marry the guy with whom she’d fell in love. I also look up to my grandparents who modeled and passed down to us their quiet, stoic strength and perseverance through life’s struggles. Lastly, my parents are heroes to me for sacrificing both personally and professionally to give my siblings and me the best lives possible. I hope that someday my  son looks at his parents and sees that we’ve continued the proud family lineage of doing things the right way.”