The Charity Behind the Snack

Marcaela Allen

Several students that help with Tiger Shop during period nine. They all do this by taking care of student customers on their own with the guidance of a Mrs.Johnson who is the teacher in charge of Tiger Shop. From left to right: Eddie Seskey, Colin Miller, Mike Drazga, Annie Messer, Syler Corona, John Funk, Colin Clifton, Emmett James, Hannah Campse. Not pictured are Jack Roberts and Patrick Birmingham.

Marcaela Allen, Staff Writer

Do you have a late lunch and need something to snack on? Or did you miss breakfast and need something to fill you up for the day? Got a few quarters on you? Want to support an incredible cause?

Look no further than the Tiger Shop.

Initiated and maintained by  Mrs. Johnson and student volunteers, the Tiger Shop snack cart provides plenty of sweet and delectable options that are sure to please. It is based in front of the main office and is open first, fifth and ninth period.

The purpose of the cart is to give the student body something to snack on in between classes. The only vending machine with food is based in the lower gym which makes it impossible to get to in between periods. Luckily, Tiger Shop is here for those of you who find yourselves with a hankering for a treat.

“They make me laugh, are very happy & cheerful when talking to the customers, and make the experience so enjoyable.”

— Michael Drazga

Now NAI students can buy a small snack while also unknowingly giving to an amazing foundation.

“Pop tarts are a big seller, especially last year. Rice krispy treats are sellers as well,” Mrs. Johnson said. Some other options available at Tiger Shop are gum, chips,  and chocolate bars for $1.00 and popcorn, pretzels, and cheez-its for $0.75 and fruit snacks and fruit roll ups for $0.50. After its inception at the end of last year, it has gained much popularity among the students.

Mrs. Johnson and a few students from her vocational education class and volunteers from study halls work the cart during the designated periods. She says that her students “get more peer interaction,” from working with the first and ninth period study hall students.

Cole Clifton, one of the study hall volunteers, gives his personal account on why he helps with Tiger Shop.

“I like to help with it and make new relationships with people who are not as fortunate as I am, ” Clifton says. “It’s a way to connect with new people in a different way.”

Another students explains what makes the experience enjoyable. “The classmates with special needs that I am paired with to work there with are enthusiastic and ready to help everyday.’ says period nine student helper Michael Drazga.

Mrs. Majors’ math students also manage Tiger Shop. They create spreadsheets that calculate the amount of money the shop has to spend on inventory and the amount they earn. This calculates the profit that Tiger Shop makes and what money is able to go towards the special education program.

The funds from Tiger Shop are used to help the Special Ed program attend a special olympics that the students are enrolled in called “The North Star Special Olympics.” They even donate some of the extra funds made through Tiger Shop to various local charities.

Even teachers get a little “pick me up” in the morning. A coffee cart is brought around the whole school and brought to each teachers door in the morning. Everything is $1.00 and their beverages include regular coffee, decaf coffee, cappuccinos, bottled and flavored water. The profit is then used to take the students of the program into the community.

All in all, not only does the Tiger Shop sell amazing snacks for the inexpensive cost of a few quarters, but it also supports an amazing program. It allows students to donate their money to a worthy cause.