Hall Passes: Good or Bad?

Collin Wang

The black and gold lanyard is now standard as part of new hall pass restrictions.

Collin Wang, Staff Writer

“They’re going to take our phones at the beginning of the day.” “Our bathroom time is going to be limited”. These were just some of the rumors circulating around NAI in the week before the disciplinary assembly. The entire student body was curious about what changes were being implemented.

When the assembly finally came, it was revealed that most of the rumors were proven incorrect. However, our school did implement one significant change in policy. In the hallway, there are yellow lanyards everywhere. Lanyards in hands, lanyards in pockets, even lanyards being swung around, all to indicate that the person is supposed to be in the hall. 

This is the new school policy with hall passes. Instead of the old system of signing out electronically, we have transitioned into a physical approach with more steps. The process now consists of signing out on a paper sheet, filling in the date, your name, and the times you leave and return. 

The policy has been met with overwhelming criticism from students. Sophomore Tia Soussou said, “I think the hall passes are inconvenient and it wastes more time having to sign out all the time.” Sophomore Logan Kushner added, “It causes more problems because some kids like to vandalize the hall passes and the sign out sheets.”

Others have concerns over the cleanliness of the passes. Sophomore Hayden Ball said, “Everyone takes the same two hall passes to the bathroom. We have no idea where they put them, especially in the bathroom.” Sophomore Sydney Bartos said, “I hate how we have to touch the same passes as some people who don’t wash their hands.”

Although students are adamant about the flaws of this system, teachers and administrators tend to believe otherwise. Several teachers have said that the new system allows them to better keep track of where their students are. They have also said that catching students who are cutting class is much easier.

Clearly, both points of view are justified. However, school staff are very confident that their policy will work. For now, it seems, the yellow lanyards are here to stay.