Sophomore Andrew Romanchik Organizes Demonstration In Support for Ukraine

Andrew Romanchik

The scene at sophomore Andrew Romanchik’s protest for Ukraine in downtown Pittsburgh.

Collin Wang, Staff Writer

Normally, sophomores in high school are solely focused on doing better in school, athletics, or extracurricular activities. However, there are always a select few who, in addition to the three things listed above, set out to change their community. One of these people at North Allegheny is Sophomore Andrew Romanchik.

Romanchik, a Ukrainian-American, was astonished and outraged when he saw the news of Russia invading Ukraine. In a show of support and solidarity for his home country, he organized a demonstration in downtown Pittsburgh. On February 27th, over 400 people came to the streets due to his efforts. NAEye sat down with Romanchik to ask him more about the situation and his demonstration.

What inspired you to organize this demonstration?

No one actually thought war would happen, we all thought it was just standard sword-clashing. We figured that the war was just a political show between East and West. When I got the news early in the morning from my family in Ukraine, it hit me and every Ukrainian living abroad. I thought about what I can  do to help. It’s not like I am in Ukraine and can enlist in the army. But I am in America so I have the first amendment. Later that Thursday, I began organizing the rally. Although a rally will not end the war, it will spread awareness and it will make people realize people everywhere are affected by the war.

Can you describe the scene at the demonstration?

Very crowded. You could barely walk around because there were so many people. There were 500 people. Mostly Ukrainians, alongside Russian, Byelorussians, Poles, Georgians, Serbs, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, and more. And at the rally, we all prayed. The vast majority of Slavs are Orthodox Christians along with myself who is Ukrainian. We were joined by 5 Orthodox priests and prayed for peace. We also sung the national anthem of the United States and Ukraine, and we sung the national hymn of Ukraine. We also allowed people to speak to share testimonies about how their families were affected. 

What is your most important takeaway from this?

Ukraine’s military may be dominated by the Russian military, however what the Kremlin doesn’t have is nationalism. They don’t have patriotism. Every time Russia has committed some form of crime against Ukraine, it has only made Ukrainians want to be ever more. 

How did it feel for Mayor Ed Gainey to recognize your efforts?

It was an honor to have reached notable politicians in Pittsburgh, and it was very kind for him to come to our rally and show support, especially being that many people at the rally typically don’t share views that align with his.

Will you be organizing any future events in support of Ukraine?

Yes. Sunday, March 20th, there will be an auto caravan/rally meeting at the parking lot near the old Sears at Ross Park Mall. We’ll fly flags and signs as we drive down to Liberty Avenue Park (by Gateway Subway Station) where we’ll have another rally of praying, singing, and banner waving.