Why Junior Year is the Hardest

Lucas Pater

The rising juniors’ time at NASH is rapidly approaching

Lucas Pater, Staff Writer

The fourth nine weeks brings students one step closer to summer break, but it also means that current sophomores’ time at NAI is quickly dissipating. 

Many students share the feeling that junior year is the hardest school year for students to go through. Students have to start looking into colleges, preparing for standardized tests, keep up with extra curricular activities, and often have a larger workload due to junior year’s difficult courses. 

Current sophomore Chandini Srinivas expects that junior year will be, “Very stressful compared to sophomore year because the workload increases drastically.” Many courses available to juniors are more challenging than what students have had access to before. The transition to these types of classes is often a daunting thing for juniors.

When asked what kinds of things she has heard about junior year, sophomore Caitlin Scanga said, “[I’ve heard] all bad [things], thinking and planning for your future at a young age is so stressful, especially because a lot of people change their minds or haven’t found what they enjoy yet.” Many high school students are expected to know what work they want to do for the rest of their lives and apply to colleges while they are 16 and 17 years old. 

Having to think about all of these important topics while balancing difficult courses and extracurricular activities really takes a toll on students. The stress can be overwhelming for many students. Some people are already thinking about how they are going to be able to handle the stress that junior year brings.

Sophomore Claire Fiedler says, “I am going to try to keep an agenda and stay more on top of assignments. I am also going to try to remember my mental health and worry less about school.” 

Make sure not to overload yourself and find time for you.

— Lindsey Hoffman

Junior Lindsey Hoffman agrees with Fiedler’s plan for junior year. When asked what advice she would give to rising juniors, she said, “Make sure not to overload yourself and find time for you. [I know] it’s difficult, but necessary.” Similarly, Junior Jordan Ashbaugh advises, “Make sure you stay organized and put time aside to study.”

No matter how much advice that sophomores can get their hands on, how many organization plans they make, or any other preparations for junior year, the common consensus is that it is going to be difficult. Every day brings sophomores one day closer to August 22, where they will have to finally face their junior year.