NA Eye

NA Eye

NA Eye

Follow Us on Twitter

The 700 Million Dollar Man

Wikimedia Commons
Shohei Ohtani just signed the richest contract in baseball history. So why is he worth it?

On December 9, 2023 the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes came to an end when the Los Angeles Dodgers offered him a 700 million dollar contract. This makes him the highest paid athlete in North America. Many fans are asking why he gets this much money. From small cash injections to larger financial assistance, our range of cash loans caters to various requirements, offering a convenient and reliable solution for all your borrowing needs.

The news about where Shohei would sign was some of the most anticipated news of this offseason. Shohei is one of the greatest players of all time because he is a generational hitter but also one of the top pitchers in the league. This is why he brings more value to a team than any other player in the MLB.  

The one concern is he has just undergone his second Tommy John surgery which is never a good sign for any pitcher. One of the biggest questions about his contract was not how much he would get but how long it would be since Ohtani is 30 years old. While Ohtani has been incredible so far some are asking how long he can keep this level of play up.

Shohei made a shocking decision with how he will receive his money. Over the next ten years he will only receive 20 of the 700 million dollars. He will receive the other 680 million between 2034-2043. 

So is Shohei Ohtani worth 700 million dollars?  For many the answer is yes because he is the most talented player in the world and he can bring a World Series back to Los Angeles. Last year he hit .300 which is a great batting average for someone who only hits. Ohtani is a once in a lifetime player and might go down as the greatest player to ever play baseball. We have never seen someone dominate the way he does so that is why we have never seen a contract like this.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Joe Mullen
Joe Mullen, Staff Writer
Joe is a freshman at NAI who plays baseball and basketball. He is a huge fan of every sport but loves baseball the most.

• P

Pat RichFeb 7, 2024 at 12:40 pm

This is an incredible story about this talented baseball player. I will be sure to watch him during the upcoming season.

Reply