NA Eye

NA Eye

NA Eye

Follow Us on Twitter

Madame Web’s Publicity Nightmare

Sony Pictures
Madame Web is the next Spider-Man movie coming to theaters.

Madame Web is the next film part of the Spider-Man franchise to be coming to theaters near you! The film releases on February 14th, however, not many are aware of the film’s existence because of the lack of publicity this film is getting.

Dakota Johnson portrays the title character of this film. Johnson is known for her work on Fifty Shades of Grey and its accompanying films. It will be interesting to see what she brings to this new film. This is Johnson’s first superhero movie, and it will be fascinating to watch her perform.

Perhaps, the most exciting actress in the film to many is Sidney Sweeney. Sweeney is famous for her work on Euphoria and is finally joining the Marvel Universe. She will be playing Julia Carpenter, one of the three young women that Madame Web has to protect from the main villain. The next woman that Madame Web has to protect from the main villain is Anya Corazon who is portrayed by Isabela Merced. The final woman whom Web has to protect is Mattie Franklin played by Celeste O’Connor.

The main villain of this movie is named Ezekiel “Zeke” Sims and he is portrayed by Tahar Rahim. Ezekiel possesses powers similar to any Spider-Man’s powers. However, in addition to having the abilities of Spider-Man, he is also extremely wealthy and a talented businessman.

For being a Spider-Man movie, Madame Web is not known by many. A reason for this could be the character. Not many people know Madame Web as a character. However, the main factor may be the lack of publicity it is getting from trailers.

Trailers are important to any film. They get the word out, and they get viewers invested in the plotline and characters. Madame Web is failing at this. The trailer has yet to be seen on TVs at home. This is a big issue for Sony if they want their movie to be seen. They need to push out trailers as soon as possible because the release date for this movie is creeping up on them.

Another issue this film faces is the backlash from fans it is getting. It was rumored that Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man along with Tom Holland’s Spider-Man was going to be seen in the film. However, Sony realized that this plotline would not make sense because Madame Web is set in a time period where Spider-Man hasn’t even been born yet, causing Sony to take both Spider-Men out of the film.

This caused backlash from fans because they wanted another chance to see not only Tom Holland’s Spider-Man on the big screen, but also Andrew Garfield’s. Sony made a huge mistake saying that both Spider-Men would be in the film, then realizing it’s not the right time period.

The next problem that this film has is the change of the iconic, “with great power comes great responsibility” quote. According to the X/Twitter account Cryptic4KQual, the new quote will be, “When you take responsibility, you will gain powerful abilities.”

Changing the classic Spider-Man quote is not likely to be popular with fans. The line has appeared in every live-action Spider-Man film It is one of the most-known superhero quotes. It is quite strange that the Madame Web writers would change that.

One thing that can benefit or destroy Sony for Madame Web is the leak of her suit. Her suit leaked at the beginning of January, possibly in the funniest way possible. Dakota Johnson was seen in her suit on an Ocean Spray juice bottle. Soon the one juice bottle became many juice bottles in foreign countries, causing Sony to promptly release a first-look poster.

The suit differs from the classic comic version. It’s up to fans to decide whether or not they like it more. The suit is a shiny red leather with white spiderwebs. Her emblem in the middle does not appear to be a spider, but a mysterious symbol that will probably have something to do with the plot. It will be exciting to see how it looks on the big screen.

There is a positive piece of news shoved in with all the bad. Screenings for Madame Web were received well by critics. This is a huge success for Sony because some of their other Spider-Man films were not received too well like Morbius and Venom. This excites fans and will likely cause them to see the movie.

Finally, this movie could be Sony’s one-way ticket to a cohesive Spider-Verse. Sony has tried before with films like Venom that seemed like it would create a Spider-Verse. However, they didn’t work well. Films such as Morbius were big box-office flops. Both of these movies had something in common, focusing on anti-heroes. Madame Web focuses on the heroes.

A movie based on a hero known for being wise and powerful should be able to jumpstart Sony’s Spider-Verse. It will be interesting to see their take on heroes because it is so different from what they usually do. Fans are excited to see how this movie plays out when it is released in theaters.