NA Eye

NA Eye

NA Eye

Follow Us on Twitter

Laufey Brings a New Era of Jazz to Gen Z

The+TikTok+jazz+sensation%2C+Laufey%2C+brings+a+new+era+to+the+classic+genre+through+her+enchanting+vocals+and+resonating+lyricism.+
Eva Pentel for NME
The TikTok jazz sensation, Laufey, brings a new era to the classic genre through her enchanting vocals and resonating lyricism.

In an era dominated by the spread of new music through social media, one artist was able to use this to their advantage to bring back the allure of jazz to a new generation.

Laufey (pronounced Lay-vay), a rising 24-year-old Icelandic-Chinese singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, has stolen the hearts of millions through her enchanting yet vintage-inspired sound. With her unique blend of jazz, pop, and indie influences layered into love songs, the recent Grammy winner redefines what it means to be a modern jazz and classical music artist while making the genres relatable to all listeners of the younger generation.

With over 4 million followers on TikTok, where her songs have gone viral numerous times, it’s undeniable how influential Laufey’s music is on Gen Z. What sets her apart from other artists in jazz is her ability to connect with her audience at a personal level by humanizing the genres of jazz and classical music for young people. While her music pays homage to the greats of jazz and the masters of classical, it also relates to the moods and emotions present in current-day youth. Whether she sings songs about love, heartbreak, or self-development, Laufey’s lyrics are raw and real, resonating closely with her audience.

With Laufey’s recognition as an artist increasing, her objective continues to stay true: connecting younger audiences to genres they might have previously written off or wouldn’t have given much thought to since it’s not very familiar to them.

During an interview for TODAY, the singer voiced that “Gen Z didn’t grow up going to CD stores and going to our favorite music genre sections. We grew up consuming whatever’s cool on TikTok and going on Spotify and listening to ‘rainy day’ playlists — which may include a range of different styles of music. And I think that is the coolest thing. I think that’s why I’m able to thrive in 2022 with my music.” The biggest challenge of revitalizing and reframing a genre for the younger generation is keeping its relevance to the audience, and Laufey is arguably the first of her kind making jazz cool for Gen Z.

In addition to her relatable lyricism, Laufey also brings a feeling of escapism through her songs, something Gen Z wants now more than ever.

In addition to her relatable lyricism, Laufey also brings a feeling of escapism through her songs, something Gen Z wants now more than ever. Her timeless and cinematic yet classical sound brings feelings of an accessible escape to her audience, and in the hectic world of today, aren’t we all looking for an escape?

Written from the relatable perspective of a young woman navigating a confusing world, Laufey’s music also gives a voice to young women in a similar position in life. Her conversational lyrics display relatable experiences of 21st-century women in their 20s falling in and out of love while growing as a person, solidifying her connection with her audience personally while letting people know they’re not alone.

Laufey displays a unique way of connecting with her fans. From making TikToks with her twin sister Junia by day and performing sold-out shows with an orchestra by night, the singer brings 2 very different worlds into common perspective. With her bewitching musicianship and resonating lyricism, Laufey has made a name for herself in the music industry while maintaining a sense of relatability for her audience. With a career that is quickly ascending, Laufey is ready to continue spreading the genres of jazz and classical music while creating a safe space of comfort to escape to, because no one’s gonna kill the dreamer in her.