No Drive Zone

Students deal with driving restrictions at NAI

With summer right around the corner and the impending freedom breathing down our necks, it can be easy for some of us to forget where we are and what we are supposed to be doing.

Many of the sophomores at NAI already have their learner’s permit and some already have their driver’s license. It has started to become a pressing issue to the administration at NAI that students have been caught driving to school and parking in nearby parking lots such as those at McCandless Crossing, St. John’s Preschool, as well as the streets of the neighborhoods surrounding NAI.  

According to the Code of Conduct, no student is allowed to drive to NAI  due to safety reasons.

“When they park other places, it means that they have to walk along Cumberland to get to different places. It puts students in places that are unsafe. We’ve had accidents in the past that have raised our level of concern for our students.” said Mr. Brinkley, the Student Assistance Coordinator.

“We don’t know the number of students that have attempted to drive to school but every day we check the cameras and check in with the security guard to make sure that it doesn’t happen. We’ve caught students right in the lot. If they have a NASH student parking permit (like ROTC) they park in the lot between Mcknight and NAI they are allowed to park.“ Brinkley adds.

The consequences if one is caught driving to school is an in-school suspension, and, if the student continues driving to NAI, the length of the suspension will increase and the student’s parents will be involved in the punishment.

So, how do they catch students driving to NAI?

There are security cameras throughout the entire Cumberland campus. The NAI security guard is in charge of watching the cameras and is able to notice if students are coming from different areas that are not from the bus.

Security knows the difference between the kids that walk to school and the kids that are driving to school since it’s usually the same ten students that have been walking to school since the start of the school year.

There are various rumors that float around the student body around NAI surrounding parking. One rumor suggests that one is able to buy parking passes from St. John’s church to park in their back lot.

Some also believe that if you park in the very back of McKnight Elementary school, security cameras will not catch them. Some students also try and park at Northland Public Library and walk down the hall to avoid the security cameras.

However, these students do get caught eventually. NAI administration puts these rules in place to keep us safe.

So, if you think that you’re getting away with something: look up and smile