Business Is Boomin’

Tiger Shop uphold its reputation as the go-to snack shack of NAI.

Alexa Cannella

The Tiger Shop in action…

In a student’s history at North Allegheny Intermediate High School, many things come and go. Grades, friends, homework, peers, sanities, and other miscellaneous items are no exception. However, there is one thing that remains constant through all the trials and tribulations: the Tiger Shop. Walking through Tiger Hall, the already viscous crowd seems to thicken even more around the vicinity of C and D Hall, signaling the arrival of the Tiger Shop.

For those that do not know, the Tiger Shop is the one-stop shop for all the snacks you need to get through the long and winding day and is supported and run by the Special-Ed students and department. NAEye got the opportunity to talk with some of the people who help out at the cart.

In the current school year, the Tiger Shop has given $2,500 to several different causes

In January of 2017, Mrs. Johnson and Mrs. Majors made the decision to introduce a new project to NAI, run by the Special-Ed Department. NAI allotted $130 for the creation of the Tiger Shop.

Due to the emphasis placed on them, some may say the school is *nuts* about food allergies, and so the food chosen for the Tiger Shop was carefully selected, in order to comply with the health standards at North Allegheny.

Although the Tiger Shop is highly beneficial to the customers, many do not think about how and why this program is so valuable to the students running it. Running this kiosk gives the students real-life skills and experience. They are involved in every aspect of operating the cart including stocking the cart, counting the money, doing inventory, helping to place orders, and even making deposits to the bank.

Due to the immense popularity of it, many students wonder the profits of the Tiger Shop. On average, the Tiger Shop makes $200 per week.

The profits made from the cart are donated to various charities. In the current school year, the Tiger Shop has given $2,500 to several different causes. The charities donated to are chosen based on a few factors. Often, they donate to district-related causes, such as Make-a-Wish. They always donate to the Special Olympics because many of the students running the cart are involved in their programs. Most importantly, they include the students’ opinions and any organization that could relate to them.

The student body has been curious about whether or not the Tiger Shop would ever consider implementing an alternate payment method such as ApplePay or connecting payments through students’ lunch accounts. Although it may be a more convenient way to pay, the teachers believe it is too technical. Maybe one day…

The regular customers of the Tiger Shop may be aware of the schedule of the cart, but for everyone else, these are their usual times: before school, during homeroom, between periods 2 and 3, 5 and 6, and 9th period.

Tiger Pride is worn in all types of ways — support our school and don’t forget to stop by the Tiger Shop!