Fresh Looks at NAI

This is the first of a series of articles about the new teachers of NAI.

Each year we get many new faces added to the school, such as freshmen and teachers alike. I think it is time to talk to the new teachers of NAI. Who are they? What do they like about NAI? Have they taught before or is it their first year? What college did they go to? Those questions will be answered. Here are some of the new teachers at NAI.

This is Ms. McGuire a new teacher to NAI.

First, we have Ms. McGuire, orchestra teacher :

NAEye: Did you work at another school before NAI?

Ms. McGuire: I was working at two middle schools in Palo Alto, California.

NAEye: What do you like about NAI?

Ms. McGuire: I really like being part of this orchestra program. The best thing is, I was the only teacher at my previous schools, and here I joined a big program and I have two other colleagues that I get to work with.

NAEye: What do think NAI could do better for new teachers?

Ms. McGuire: The only thing I would love a little bit more of as a new teacher is there is a lot of technology that is specific to the school district and so just having more time to go over all of the different parts and websites.

NAEye: Was it easy to adjust to NAI?

Ms. McGuire: I think it has been easy because I have people working with me in the orchestra that I go to and can ask questions. The administration has also been super supportive. Everyone has been very helpful.

NAEye:  Why did you become a teacher?

Ms. McGuire: I became a teacher because I started orchestra in the school program and I don’t think I would have been in music if it wasn’t for the program. So my teachers inspired me to keep playing and to ultimately teach music to others.

NAEye: What college did you go to?

Ms.McGuire: I went to the University of Iowa for my undergrad and I did my graduate at Western Washington University.

Mr. Mooney

Next,  Mr. Mooney is an English teacher who works at NASH and NAI:

NAEye: Did you work at another school?

Mr. Mooney: I taught at NASH for 17 years now, and only NASH it was my first job.

NAEye: What is different here from NASH?

Mr. Mooney: The simple answer is windows, but more than that there is a cultural difference. I feel very welcomed, I feel as though people are really seeing that I’m here, and the students are different. Within a 2 year time span, of 10th-12th grade, there’s a lot of experiences that happen and the students are different than the kids at NASH.

NAEye: What could NAI get better at?

Mr. Mooney: Everybody has been so helpful, learning all the new protocols is hard though.

NAEye: Was it easy to adjust to NAI?

Mr. Mooney: Yah, but everyone made it really easy.

NAEye: Why did you become a teacher?

Mr. Mooney: It easy to say for the money but I’ve always enjoyed the idea of teaching. Especially English, it gives you the opportunity to explore ideas.

NAEye: What college did you go to?

Mr. Mooney: I went to St. Francis College, which is in Loretto Pennsylvania.

Olivia Beining
Mr. McClain

Next is Mr.McClain, a social studies teacher:

NAEye: Did you work at another school?

Mr. McClain: I worked at NASH, Marshall, and also currently Ingomar.

NaEye: What do you like about NAI?

Mr. McClain: It is a really good community. It is a big school with a small school feel and the staff and students are great.

NAEye: What don’t you like about NAI?

Mr. McClain: I don’t dislike anything about the school.

NAEye: Was it easy to adjust to NAI?

Mr. McClain: Yeah, it is very easy to adjust.

NAEye: Why did you become a teacher?

Mr. McClain: I’ve always had teachers who inspired me to push myself and learn more and I want to do that to my students.

NAEye: What college did you go to?

Mr. McClain: I went to IUP, I have a degree in archaeology and I went to Slippery Rock for my masters in social studies.