The North Allegheny Drum Majors

The three drum majors are the heartbeat of the band. They conduct the band on and off the field.

The drum majors conducting during the McCandless Day parade.

How do nearly 240 students keep in time during their half time show at the football games? It all falls on the shoulders of the three drum majors who keep the band in time. The drum majors of the North Allegheny Tiger Marching Band have quite a stressful task, conducting on the field and in parades. Few students get the chance to experience marching band from a conducting standpoint, as there are only three drum majors every season. I interviewed the current drum majors to get their opinions of being in the spotlight.

Lily Stromberg

What is your favorite part of being the drum major? “I love talking to the band kids. I never really had a chance because I was always on drum line. Talking to the sophomores and freshmen that I didn’t get a chance to meet was really cool because they’re all really nice and that’s kinda tight that I never talked to them and now we’re friends.”

What is the biggest challenge as drum major? “Probably telling your friends what to do. It really stinks because you don’t want them to hate you, but they do have to be in line and it’s just a really tough situation honestly.”

What piece of advice would you give to future drum majors? “Talk to everyone and be friends with everyone. Coming into band camp not knowing any freshman or sophomores stinks because you want to be friends with them but you don’t know their names.”

What was your reaction when you found out you made drum major? “Well, Meg and I were walking into the band room and saw the list. Meg and I start screaming, we hugged and I started crying. I fell to the floor and almost broke my ankle. It was hilarious. I did like a ballerina spin except falling. It was so funny. Then I went to the bathroom crying and called my mom and we were both crying on the phone.”

What did you have to do to prepare for the audition? “I went to the workshops and I had to prepare a salute, which was the hardest part. The timing part wasn’t too tough because I was in drumline, but the salute part was really hard. I wasn’t good at it.”

Meg Rees

What is your favorite part of being the drum major? “My favorite part of being drum major is the fact that I can inspire everybody through music and just bring everybody together through something that everybody here enjoys.”

What has been your favorite halftime show?My favorite halftime show has to be the Rocky show. The trumpet feature in that was just so amazing. The first time we ran through it I almost cried, it was just so amazing and I love it.”

What is your favorite memory of marching band? “I think just all the friendships I have made in marching band have been so incredible and I’ll cherish them forever and ever. I am so thankful for that.”

What was your reaction when you found out you made drum major? “I was so happy. I can’t even explain the feeling. Lily and I saw the list and we were both scream-crying. It was amazing. It was so special that the directors thought of us as being the best leaders for the band.”

What did you have to do to prepare for the audition?For the audition, you have workshops leading up to the audition, for about one or two months. When the audition comes around you have an interview section, where all three directors and all three drum majors sit down and talk to you, 6 on 1. They talk to you about leadership experience. Then you have a command section where you and one or two other people get together and you command them to march. You get a chance to give the commands and do the commands. The directors can see how well you follow commands, your marching ability, and how well you are commanding to people. You also have to conduct the star spangled banner and a parade tune.

Ian Rampton

What is your favorite memory of marching band? “I really like band camp. One of the rehearsals the drum majors were all together and the band was together and everything just came together and it made me really happy.”

What piece of advice would you give to future drum majors? “I would say be confident, but don’t be arrogant. You point is to not get clout. Your point is to lead the band and make the band as good as it can be. Take everything seriously and if you’re terrible to people, they won’t like you and they won’t respect you.”

What was your reaction when you found out you made drum major? “I cried. I think we all cried. It didn’t actually settle in that we were drum majors until like maybe the first week of band camp.”

Do you think conducting the marching band is stressful? “It definitely used to be. It’s really not anymore. I sometimes get lost in my thoughts while I’m conducting and then I’m like, oh, wait, I’m conducting right now. It has just become natural at this point.”

What did you have to do to prepare for the audition? “For the audition, I conducted a ton. We learn how to conduct during the workshops and I took that and practiced at home for hours. I would listen to the music for hours a day. The weeks leading up to the audition the parade tune would constantly be in my earbuds as I walked around school. I worked on shouting in my basement and it’s really stressful, but it all works out. If you don’t get drum major, at the very least, it makes you a better leader.”