Our Road, Not Theirs

Students today have a tremendous amount of pressure on their shoulders. Although we are students, we handle it like adults.

thecoinfront.com

Students here at NAI have many choices to make throughout the process of getting older. Which path will you take?

As we grow older and get ready to start looking into colleges, we often look to our parents for guidance. Our parents are alumni from colleges all over the continent, some even abroad. From the Pitt vs. Penn State rivalry to the University of London, we hear all the “back in my day” stories. Some families expect their children to apply and make it into the college that they went to. Children in generation Z are brought up to be the best they can be, told what to do, and pressured into doing things they wouldn’t choose for themselves. But how much is too much?

They need to make teachers cooperate because I think it’s too much at one time, and I have so much going on. I know they try to minimize the work, but it isn’t enough. Overall school is definitely the cause of most of my stress.

— Sarah Machine

This pressure that lies on teenager’s shoulders can do tremendous damage in both social skills and overall thinking. The thought of disappointing parents, grandparents, or any extended family is soul-crushing to the students. Stress causes problems that normally would not occur, some cases even life-threatening. Studies show that the percentages in suicide and self-harm increased by 4% between 2010-2013 due to stress. In 2017 6,241 students took their own lives because of the work overload. Rates in depression and drug addiction also increased by a large percentage in 2018. Not only does stress cause self-harm, but it also affects a student’s ability to focus in school.

Most high school students get less than the recommended amount of sleep, and in some circumstances, they don’t get any at all. The recommended hours of sleep are 7-9 hours. Students are up late at night doing homework after getting home from a practice or just a long day at school. Schools are having kids start as early as 5:45 in the morning. It is proven that later starts to school improve overall test grades. Sleep deprivation causes trouble concentrating in school and memorizing important lessons, which is what we are taught to do. However, the stress levels continue to grow and people refuse to make a change.

Time management with the amount of work inside and outside of school. It’s hard to get everything done and still understand the material. I think the teachers are getting better at minimizing the work we get, but it could be better.

— Gary Radford

When scheduling for classes, students are encouraged into taking AP courses, so they can get into the college that they desire to attend. Listening to the suggestions, students take the hardest classes possible. The tests, assignments, projects, essays, and homework can be unbearable. The work overload turns to sleepless nights, failing tests, and overall health issues. Adding on practices to the schedule pushes back school work. We endure more pressure than any other generation has, and yet we deal with it like adults.

This monochromatic thinking that we as students should have our lives planned out before we even hit high school is causing more stress than one realizes. Students are rushed into planning for the future so fast, that we don’t take time to be kids. We’re focused on getting scholarships to college that we so desperately desire to get into. We often forget what it’s like to go outside and have fun with other peers. What happened to the days when we could go out and run around with friends, not have to worry about time, go on trips, and enjoy summer? Now we are taking summer courses to boost our college applications. Our childhood was taken out from underneath us, and growing up too fast was pushed in our faces. 

People too often forget that ultimately, this is your life, your choices, and your future. Others don’t pave the road to your success. You do.