Keystone Stress

Keystone Stress

The Keystone Exams are a set of standardized tests that students are required to take in Algebra, Biology, and Literature.

From May 19 to May 25, students at NAI will be taking these exams. The Keystone exams add an extraordinary amount of stress on students, which leaves one with the question…

What makes the Keystone Exams so stressful to students?

The Keystones are a graduation requirement for everyone attending North Allegheny. The Algebra Keystones are usually taken towards the end of your eighth-grade algebra course. The Biology Keystones are taken towards the end of your biology course, and the Literature exams are taken during your sophomore year.

While the Literature Keystones are taken towards the end of sophomore year, they are an end of studies test. This means that they are supposed to be taken at the end of your literature studies. Students take them in tenth grade in order to make sure that there will be enough time to retake the exams if they do not pass it the first time.

If a student fails the Keystone exam, in a subject other than Algebra, the first time that they take it, they then have to take a remediation course before they can retake the test.

Since the Keystones are approaching at warp speed. One might wonder what teachers are doing to prepare their students that are taking the exam.

“I prepare my students for the biology keystone exam all year long by covering the content and the vocabulary in my units. That way when May arrives, the content has all been taught and my students can focus on reviewing the vocabulary, practicing the eligible content, and trying practice problems. “ Said Dr. Gallo, a biology teacher here at NAI.

Gallo also said that: “I think the most stressful thing about the Keystones is the amount of content covered by each test”

Mrs. Jones, a geometry and algebra teacher said that: “The geometry curriculum requires modeling with equations and solving for solutions. The practice requires higher-level cognitive skills such as application, analysis, and synthesis.To prepare for the Algebra 1 Keystone exam, students complete an online ILP (Individual Learning Plan) to practice all concepts covered on the exam or they attend an Algebra Practicum.”

The Keystones should cover what you learn in class. Teachers that teach these courses tend to start preparing students for the exam towards the beginning of the year with various practice worksheets and packets.

“There are so many terms to learn and if they’re already proficient in certain skills I try not to focus as much. We try to customize some of our focus,” said Ms. Kramer, an English teacher.

Kramer has her classes take a diagnostic test at the beginning of the year, and then another one later in the year so that she can see her students’ growth.

Basically, these courses are built around getting students to pass the Keystones.

There is so much stress surrounding the Keystones for students. The immense pressure to earn a score such as proficient or even advanced so that you can graduate. Students are also stressing themselves to do well so that they don’t have to take them again. With all of the content on the exam, it can be easy for students to get lost.

For students that don’t pass the exam the first time around, they have to take a mandatory reinforcement class or try and retake it over the summer. Many students don’t want to have that pressure of the Keystones looming over their heads through the next year.

With all of this weighing on their heads, it is easy to see how the Keystone exams can be a major cause of stress for students at NAI.