Anti-Valentine’s Day

Isabella Gauntner

For many single teens, Valentine’s Day isn’t a holiday worth getting excited about.

Isabella Gauntner, Staff Writer

Valentine is a holiday celebrated on the 14th of February. It is a holiday celebrated typically among people in relationships. However, Valentine’s day is not so popular among the singles. You could even say hated. 

NAI Freshman Hayden Cobbs and North Hills Sophomore Katie Gaertner both have strong opinions towards it. 

Cobbs says it depends on who you are that changes your perception on Valentine’s. “If you’re in a relationship Valentine’s is great. If you just got broken up with, it feels like the holiday crawled from the depths of hell.” 

Cobbs sometimes celebrates Valentines. However, it depends on her mood each year. She says, “Some years I’m really into it. I buy everyone I know chocolates and everything. And other years, the entire holiday makes me want to gag.”

Gaertner, however, absolutely hates the day, saying, “All of my friends are in stupid relationships, and I am sitting right here so single.” 

For those who don’t like Valentine’s day, the mood it puts them in can have a lot to do with it.  Cobbs went on to say, “Sometimes you know you’re in a mood where you don’t want to be happy. Sometimes I wanna look at the couples and be like, ‘You are disgusting.’” 

Gaertner says, “This holiday actually makes me feel lonely. It reminds me of all my failed talking stages.” 

Gaertner also mentions, “I could care less that you and your boyfriends are in love forever.” 

Some people even think this holiday is here just to sell more of their items, such as candies, flowers, and chocolates.   Cobbs, for one, says she thinks the holiday is a scam in this way: “I think the candy companies made it so they can sell their candies.” 

As mentioned before many also feel as though this holiday puts them in a mood, which is why many don’t like it. 

Who decided to come up with the idea that there needs to be an entire holiday dedicated to people who love each other?

Cobbs also feels that this holiday sometimes does make her feel lonely: “Sometimes I feel like love’s in the air and I feel really hopeful.  Sometimes I feel really really depressed and wanna cry. The only good thing about this holiday is the movies.” 

As to how Valentine’s Day affects the way she thinks about relationships, Gaertner says, “I am just waiting for the right person. Who decided to come up with the idea that there needs to be an entire holiday dedicated to people who love each other?” 

But for Cobbs, the only good things about the holiday are, “the movies and the discounted chocolate.”