NATF Adjusts to New Warmup

Candice Sobotka

NA Track and Field athletes practice at Newman stadium during the 2022 season.

Virginia Malkin, Staff Writer

At the end of March, the warm-up for North Allegheny Track Athletes started a new warmup routine.

Track and Field athletes have mixed opinions about this change. Kyra Schmidt, a sophomore in Track and Field, said: ”I think I like it, and I also don’t like parts of it. I feel like it gets me warmed up more than the old warm-up, but it also is long since it is way more time-consuming.” 

The new warm-up helps generate enough heat to warm up all of the muscles in the body,  but it also has exercises that some athletes are not fond of.  Before that, the warmup had always been running one or two laps, doing Static stretching, and Hurdle Mobility. Now, warmups like a side plank are involved.

Schmidt says that she does not like side planks when she has to lift her leg.  Student-athletes lift their legs up when they are simultaneously holding a plank. This can be extremely challenging because an athlete may lose their balance.

Schmidt also said that she does not like pushups. 

But athletes did notice the benefits of some exercises. Junior Lexi Orlando, said: “I like to do planks.” Some Athletes like Planks because they help boost their core. Others find planks a nuisance because of the amount of pressure they have to exert on their bodies.

I feel like it’s more time-consuming just cause we go into a lot more detail than the old warm-up did and we do pushups and planks and more exercises than stretch.

— Kyra Schmidt

The length of the new warmup is also a point of contention. Schmidt says, ”I feel like it’s more time-consuming just cause we go into a lot more detail than the old warm-up did and we do pushups and planks and more exercises than stretch.” 

Although it takes longer, Orlando says that “It is beneficial because we are all learning to do the same thing.” Now, when North Allegheny Track Athletes warm up during a meet, they look like an endless black sea. This helps to unnerve the other team.

Student Track and Field Varsity Athletes are headed to the PIAA Championships soon, where they hope the new warmup will help them intimidate their rivals and lead them to victory.