Kenny Pickett’s Season In Review

Creative Commons

Pittsburgh Steelers Rookie QB Kenny Pickett leaves Steelers fans hopeful for the future.

Jacob Clarkson, Staff Writer

Kenny Pickett emerged as the starting quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers in week 4. He shined in some moments, but also looked very questionable in some. After his great end to the season, he has Pittsburgh wondering if the Steelers have found their next franchise QB after Ben Roethlisberger’s retirement. 

Pickett dealt with multiple concussions this season, which is cause for concern. Suffering 2 concussions in the same season is never a good sign. Even with missing a game and a half and making his debut in week 4, he still threw for 2,404 yards and 7 touchdowns. He also threw 9 interceptions, but there were some that were not his fault ones, especially the three he threw in his first game.

Pickett led the Steelers to a 7-5 record in games he started. The Steelers just missed out on the playoffs at 9-8. For a year that was supposed to be a rebuilding year, the Steelers exceeded expectations. Hopefully, the Steelers come to their senses and fire Matt Canada, the offensive coordinator. He is holding Pickett and this young offense back. Next year with a revamped offensive line and a new coordinator, Pittsburgh has very high hopes for Pickett.

So far, Kenny looks like the best QB out of his draft class, but there is not much competition. Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy from the San Francisco 49ers has had a great ending to the season though. In just 6 games started, he threw for 1,374 yards, 13 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions. He does have a veteran offense, a good coordinator, and one of the best pass catching running backs, Christian Mccaffery.  He also led the 49ers to two playoff victories against the Seahawks and Cowboys, throwing for 4 combines touchdowns in those games. 

Heading into week 15 the Steelers were 5-8. With Mike Tomlin’s record of 14 straight winning seasons, and a trip to the playoffs on the line, Kenny Pickett led the steelers to 4 straight wins. He also led 2 spectacular game winning drives against the Raiders and against the Ravens. 

Against the Raiders, the rookie duo of Pickett to Pickens shined, and Pickens caught the game winning touchdown. Against the Ravens, Pickett threw a last second touchdown to Najee Harris to secure the win. In these  wins we saw the true Kenny Pickett. He threw the ball well, he threw the ball downfield and connected with his receivers perfectly. These game winning drives showed his true potential.

This young Steelers team definitely grew and showed what their potential is next season.

While missing out on the playoffs is a disappointment, this young Steelers team definitely grew and showed what their potential is next season. Pickett is a huge part of that potential and should have an even better season next year.

So far, Kenny looks like the best QB out of his draft class, but there is not much competition. Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy from the San Francisco 49ers has had a great ending to the season though. In just 6 games started, he threw for 1,374 yards, 13 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions. He does have a veteran offense, a good coordinator, and one of the best pass catching running backs, Christian McCaffery.  He also led the 49ers to two playoff victories against the Seahawks and Cowboys, throwing for 4 combined touchdowns in those games. Pickett does not have players this good surrounding him, but the Steelers will hopefully draft some more help for him as they hope to see him make the 2nd year jump.

If you look at other sophomore quarterbacks throughout the years, they always made a big jump in Year 2.. Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence, for example, has taken his team from having the number 1 pick in the draft to being in the divisional round of the playoffs on a team built on his shoulders.

Pittsburgh hopes to see Pickett and the Steelers make this kind of jump next season, but for now the countdown to next season begins.