English Teachers Have Favorite Books?!

Addey Kane

There are books English teachers have to teach, but which ones do they like to read themselves?

Addey Kane, Staff Writer

English teachers teach various books throughout the school year, but do they have a favorite? Is their favorite book one that they teach, or not? 

For Rebecca Hulme, one of her favorites, like a lot of English teachers, is To Kill a Mockingbird. Hulme says she likes To Kill a Mockingbird because of “the characters and the great lessons the children learn.”

Jenn Pavely states, “My absolute favorite book, for right now, is The Hunger Games!”

Zack Hull replies, “East of Eden by John Steinbeck.” 

Morgan Vescovi feels that, “There are so many to choose from!”  But says, “One of my absolute favorites is a book called The Cider House Rules by John Irving.” 

Vescovi says it’s because of “the way that Irving writes his characters.  They have a lot of layers and are complicated and unpredictable.  It’s a ‘coming of age’ story that really lets you appreciate the relationships of the characters and how their understanding of each other changes throughout the whole novel.”

Jeremy Rak says, “One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.

Kristin Ferruchi replies, “I love Charlaine Harris books, especially the Southern Vampire (Sookie Stackhouse) series like Dead Until Dark and All Together Dead.

It is good to care and give because you never know how much of an impact your love will have on another.

— Sandra Crapis, on The Giving Tree

Colleen Burg replies, “My favorite Classics are Our Town by Thornton Wilder and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Favorite Moderns are We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.”

Sandra Crapis acknowledges, “This is a very hard question.”

“Therefore, I am going to answer with one of my favorite books since childhood, Shel Silverstein’s The Giving Tree,” she says.  “This book continues to remind and teach me even as an adult.  It is good to care and give because you never know how much of an impact your love will have on another.”

Kelly Watt answers, “The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons.”

Stephanie Witt says, “One Second After by William R. Forstchen.” 

NAEye TV

Greg Geibel is also a big fan of a modern classic, saying, “At the top of the list would be To Kill a Mockingbird for me.  Years ago, the book was a game changer for a student in class…and at the time, me too.  I have an autographed copy of the book from Harper Lee (to me).  She never autographed anything!  Also, my daughter is named Harper after Harper Lee.”

Like Pavely Erin Piatro replies, “Mine is The Hunger Games  series by Suzanne Collins!”

English teachers love a variety of books. The two most popular among them are The Hunger Games and To Kill A Mockingbird. Which are two great books. If you want to put yourself in your teacher’s shoes, read their favorite books. You’ll enjoy them!